Who We are
Precious Plastic Mauritius is a non for profit organisation, providing solutions to plastic waste and cleaning our beaches and mangroves.
Precious Plastic aims to create a recycling economy and help the condition of the people living on the South-Est of Mauritius who have been affected by the Wakashio Oil Spill and the covid-19.
Precious Plastic Mauritius relies on an extraordinary involvement of the local community of Blue Bay. Our common thread is a commitment to solving the problem of plastic pollution in our Oceans.
- Empower local fishermen and their families
- Provide entrepreneurial training & create jobs
- Educate and raise awareness about entrepreneurship (implementation and benefits)
- Develop a recycling economy
- Enhance market opportunities for the Mauritius business community through recycling
- Organize regular mangroves and beach clean-ups
- Start a mangrove rehabilitation and restoration program including a mangrove nursery with the support and collaboration of other NGOs
- Train and employ fishermen to become educators and organize awareness campaigns in schools to speak about mangrove preservation and plastic pollution
- Transform plastic into Sport Equipment that will be used to promote physical activity and environmental stewardship among children
- Change people’s life through plastic recycling
Precious Plastic is a non-for-profit organisation with the following 7 principles:
- Business objective will be to overcome poverty, and empower the fishermen and victims of the MV Wakashio Oill Spill; not profit maximization.
- Financial and economic sustainability
- Precious Plastic receives donations. Investors get back their investment amount only. No dividend is given beyond investment money.
- Company profit stays with the company for expansion and improvement. There are no shareholders and directors are not paid.
- Gender sensitive and environmentally conscious
- Workforce gets market wage with better working conditions
- ...We do it with joy
To overcome poverty and clean our Oceans from Plastic through the creation of a plastic recycling economy.